Not once did the conversation have something to do with a motivational speech. I wasn’t even trying to turn her negativity into a positive feed. Honestly, I didn’t even know she was down in the dumps. Sometimes you don’t have to know what is going on in someone’s life or need to preach to them about self-motivation and optimism. Positivity is sometimes instilled without you even knowing you had something to do with it.
Surprised I asked her what she meant. While she went on to explain her reasons, I realized that an energized persona is really contagious. Here is how to light up someone’s dark cloud without even trying:
1. Work with those who enhance your own energy – meaning get energized by surrounding yourself with positive people who inspire you and whom you are aspiring to.
2. Always aspire to be a better version of yourself every day. Know your flaws and work on them continuously.
3. See the good qualities in others and focus on that. Be enthusiastic about these qualities and encourage people to pin point it and emphasize them.
4. Appreciate all things delightful and have a passion for the smaller things that make life interesting and wholesome.
5. Don’t dwell on regret and don’t be pessimistic. Negativity is also energy, you don’t want to attract. Smile and let people see you shine of happiness and gratefulness.
Leaving the restaurant, she stopped and said: “thank you for recharging my soul”. That phrase stuck with me. If you surround yourself with good positive people, you are effectively enfolding yourself with life. If you give off positive vibes and you are confident in doing so by being yourself and enjoying it. People who are good for you will surround you as well.